Requests for Additional Discovery Pending a Summary Judgment Motion

A party can typically only move for summary judgment in federal court after there has been an adequate time for discovery. What is “adequate” depends on the bases of the motion for summary judgment and how long the case has been pending. If a motion for summary judgment is filed, but more discovery needs to be conducted for the non-movant to respond, there are certain procedures the non-movant needs to follow to procure additional time and/or discovery.

Rule 56(d) permits a court to delay consideration of a summary judgment motion if the non-movant demonstrates that it cannot “present facts essential to justify its opposition” of the summary judgment motion. Sterk v. Redbox Automated Retail, LLC, 770 F.3d 618, 627-28 (7th Cir. 2014). If this showing is made, the Court may (1) defer considering the motion for summary judgment or deny it; (2) allow time to obtain affidavits or declarations or to take discovery; or (3) “issue any other appropriate order.”


Scroll to Top